Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ultimate proof

Today I sent a posting to the OActivists List about 3 articles in today's Oklahoman. I thought they would be worth responding to with a letter-to-the-editor if I was past the time limit imposed in their guidelines, which I'm not: my last letter was printed July 18th.

I've decided it might be worth composing that letter anyway, just for the practice. In thinking about what I would put in it, one of the things that struck me since I first read the piece by Michael Gershon this morning is that some of his statements regarding the meaning of Christianity might constitute proof at the most fundamental possible level that the United States is not a Christian nation and was not founded on Christian principles.

Arguments regarding the Christian status of the country have tended to center on such things as the Founders' supposed religious beliefs or the wording of the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence.

But what if it could be shown that the individualism implied by America's founding documents in fact ran counter to Christian morality?

In Gerson's op-ed - at http://newsok.com/gods-love-enough-to-scare-us/article/3279451 - he writes: " . . . the highest ideal is suffering for others . . . "

If Christianity's "highest ideal" is voluntary enslavement to mutual suffering, then why does the Declaration of Independence state that "all men" have the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"?

For the record, the other 2 articles are at

http://newsok.com/culture-wares-faith-can-sell-in-public-square/article/3279443/?tm=1217988589

and

http://newsok.com/kern-vows-to-fight-for-morals-in-government/article/3279587

When I've finished my letter I'll post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment